hero decoration

Orthodontics & Functional Orthopedics

Orthopedics, also referred to as Orthodontics, are generally the first step in orthodontic treatment as it's an earlier attempt to restucture the growth of the jaw. Malocclusion, or the misalignment of teeth, is only a genetic issue in 18-20% of children. This means that the remaining 80% of issues caused are influenced directly by environmental factors such as poor tongue position, mouth breathing, allergies, englarged tonsils or adenoids. Because these habits generally begin at birth, it is best to correct their damages early to encourage healthy growth. Orthopedics provides the opportunity to make smaller changes over a period of time with removable appliances to avoid lengthier procedures, such as braces.

Functional orthopedics are an excellent treatment method to help correct issues prior to the poor growth of the jaw and teeth. Therapies which help correct poor sleep habits, T.M.J pain, sleep apnea, small lower jaws, and prominent upper teeth (buck teeth). 

Orthodontics generally refers to the bonding of braces to the teeth. Having braces attached allows fo the manipulation of the direction the teeth are growing in, allowing dentists to fine tune their placement to allow for the healthiest growth possible. Contact us today at Sawgrass dental for more information on how we can make your smile shine!


13713 W Sunrise Blvd., Ste 205|Sunrise, Florida 33323|MAP & Directions

Call: (954) 251-4849